Subject: MacTechGrp Meeting - March 4, 1998
From: [email-masked] (John C Shockey)
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 07:30:42 GMT
Newsgroups: ne.org.bcs

MacTechGrp Meeting
                Wednesday March 4, 1998 7:00 PM
                MIT Building E51-395
                Cambridge, MA

         Topic: Developer Bargains

The suggested topic this week is "Developer Bargains". What's the best
bargain in developer tools? What tool is the one that you use so much
you wouldn't know what to do without it? Where do you start looking for
best buys in developer hardware and software? What bargains have you
come across recently? Which did you buy, and which did you pass up?

If you write code on a budget -- or even if you just don't want to waste
your money -- this topic should encourage the sharing of some really
useful information. Bring your own best suggestions, and be prepared to
learn a few new ones.

As usual, the main topic will be preceded by a general discussion period
which is open for any and all announcements, questions, rumors, and
ruminations. Bring all your Macintosh programming questions --
elementary to advanced.

**********************************************************************
*** If you don't know about the pedestrian bridge across Wadsworth ***
*** Street, please see "IF THE DOORS ARE LOCKED" below.            ***
**********************************************************************

        <><>< ** ROOM NUMBERS ** ><><>

From now through the end of May 1998 we are assigned room E51-395.

Room 395 seems to be fine again, after a period where is was unusable
due to construction, but keep an eye on these announcements, in case we
move again. Also, if we don't seem to be where you expect, please look
around for us; we're most likely on either the first or third floor
(Building E51 isn't all that big.), and we'll try to leave signs when
it's necessary for us to move unexpectedly.

        <><>< Future Meeting Dates ><><>

March 18, 1998      TBA

(See YOUR name here! Volunteer to talk about your own work.)

In general, we meet on the first and third Wednesdays of every month,
from 7 PM to 9 PM, with very occasional additional meetings, and very
rare exceptions.

        <><>< Group information and directions follow ><><>

This is the MacTechGrp e-mail announcement list. (If you received this
in some way other than my mailing it directly to you, you can send me
e-mail at the address below to be placed on the list or for more
information.) Feedback on what you want to see in these mailings, and
when, is welcome.

Volunteers to help with the running of the group are always welcome.
Particularly needed are people to help arrange meeting speakers. Also
welcome are those who would like to speak at a future meeting. Good
topics include discussion of some part of the Mac OS and Toolbox that
you've learned about the hard way, an introduction to some development
environment or tool that might be of interest to others, etc.

Contacts: Owen Hartnett, co-director and meeting host, [email-masked]
          Steve Sisak, co-director, [email-masked]
          John Shockey, announcements editor, [email-masked]

        <><>< Directions ><><>

MIT Building E51 is located at the intersection of Amherst and Wadsworth
Streets in Cambridge, near Kendall Square. Traveling west on Memorial
Drive, Wadsworth Street is the first right after the Longfellow Bridge.
Traveling east on Memorial Drive, it is the first LEGAL left turn after
the Harvard (Mass. Ave.) Bridge. Look for a sign for Kendall Square. The
building is the one on the corner closest to Memorial Drive and
Massachusetts Avenue.

A good way to get to the meeting is to take the MBTA Red Line to the
Kendall Square stop. Cross Main Street and go down Wadsworth Street
(near the strange looking globe/fountain) to building E51.

You can see a map at (all one line):

http://whereis.mit.edu/bin/map?oldstate=2&off.x=4620&off.y=1640
&hi=bldg_e51&zoom.x=89&zoom.y=38

If you enter through the big entrance at the corner of Wadsworth and
Amherst Streets, go up the half-flight of stairs to your right, and walk
down the corridor (with the windows to your right side) toward the
elevator. (If you enter through the entrance from the parking lot on
Amherst Street, the elevator will be to your left. But see below as
regards parking.)

To get to room 395, take the elevator to the third floor. Turn to the
right and then continue on to room 395 which is all the way at the end
of the corridor.

(On those occasions when we're moved to room 149, it's just off to the
left, as you face the elevator.)

        <><>< ** IF THE DOORS ARE LOCKED ** ><><>

We hope MIT won't do this to you, but if it happens use the pedestrian
bridge from building E52. Cross Wadsworth Street (not Amherst Street)
and enter the building which has a pedestrian bridge back to building
E51. (This is building E52.) Go up to the third floor, and then cross
over Wadsworth via the pedestrian bridge. Continue all the way down to
room E51-395 at the end of the corridor. (On those occasions when we're
moved to room 149, you can then take the elevator down to the first
floor and continue as above.)

        <><>< Parking  ><><>

We have been officially told that we may park in the Sloan Parking Lot.
This is NOT the lot immediately next to the building where we meet.
(Although we were informally told for years that it was OK to use that
lot, people have very occasionally gotten an MIT ticket for using it.)

The entrance to the Sloan Parking Lot in on Main Street, just a little
towards Boston from Wadsworth Street. If you have turned on to Wadsworth
Street from Memorial Drive, continue past Building E51 to the end of
Wadsworth where it meets Main. Then turn right on Main, and the entrance
to the Sloan Parking Lot will be a short distance ahead, on your right.

(I don't drive, and I have these directions by word of mouth and
guesswork. If they can be improved, please let me know.)

                <><><><><>

John Shockey
[email-masked]