Subject: Chat reminder: how to launch distance ed spinoff and beginning discussion on business communities, Thursday March 26
From: Richard Seltzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 09:37:49 -0500 (EST)

BUSINESS ON THE WORLD WIDE WEB  -- Where "word of keystroke" begins

Please join us this Thursday, March 26.  We plan to start a new topic and
at the same time talk about how to launch a spin off chat program focused
on distance education.  

For the spinoff, we need to know who wants to participate and who
wants to volunteer to be part of the leadership team. We also want
your advice on what subtopics to focus on, who we might want to
specifically invite to participate, and what we could/should do to
make it as effective and useful as possible.  (Our discussions on
distance education carried across 11 sessions and kept gaining momentum.
The edited transcripts are about the length of a book -- over 150 pages,
single-spaced.)

Our new topic is Building Commercial Communities. 
While we'll also deal with broader issues of community building, we hope
to focus on instances where the common interest is a technology or family
of products. Building blocks might include:   scheduled events (both
on-line and face-to-face), discussion areas, distance education, 
and incentives for active participation and leadership.  Part of the
challenge is how to manage large numbers of people on-line at reasonable
cost.

As usual, connect to http://www.web-net.org from 12 noon to 1 PM
Eastern Time (GMT -5) on Thursday and click on "Richard
Seltzer's Chat".

You can see transcripts of previous chat sessions at
http://www.samizdat.com/#chat

And please continue to send me your followup messages for inclusion with
the transcripts.

Best wishes.

Richard Seltzer
[email-masked]

PS -- You can sign up to receive the transcripts by email
(courtesy of Coo!a Free Webzine Carrier). Just enter your email address in
the form at http://www.samizdat.com/#chat